Tuesday, June 14, 2011

First day of Classes

Today was the first day of classes, first class started at 9am Basic Hindi. We learned how to say and write the 13 vowels sounds of the Hindi language!! I have decided that I need a tattoo of some saying in this script. Beautiful characters... Soon I will be able to write and read Hindi!! :) I will also learn how to introduce myself and talk about my friends and family!

The second class is called Contemporary India. It was one of the most interesting discussions I have ever been apart of. First, to show how uneducated I am in Indian geography, politics, and culture we were given a map to fill out. First we had to place a dot to represent the city where we are residing, Hyderabad. That one was easy. Next I had to locate and place a dot on the capital city and name it. Then place a dot and name the city where you would go to see the Taj Mahal. Then we had to name the surrounding countries and locate them on the map; China, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Then we had to locate and draw in the Himalayas, the Ganges River, and the Indian Ocean. Next, we had to write the name of the Prime Minister of India. Then write 3 things that we liked and disliked about India now that we've been here for a few days. Then we had to recall 2 Indian books that we've read, 2 bollywood movies, 2 Indian dress styles, and 2 food dishes. With all this information we started discussing the fact that almost any Indian you ask can tell you where the major cities are in the US and who the current president is and previous presidents. They have watched American movies, read American books, wore American clothing, and eat "American" food. The Indian people are far more knowledgeable about Westerners than Westerners are about Indians.

She then lead into some basic facts about India - telling the class that is no way we will be able to understand Contemporary India in the 6 weeks that we will be here and not to expect to. She does not fully understand how everything in India works together and she has lived in India her entire life. I will not be an expert on India when I return but I will know more than most of you! :) We talked about the Hindu caste system and how marriages work in different areas of the country. I cannot wait to learn more about India!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment